Thursday, February 11, 2010

First Review! - Bison Witches Lincoln

All right, so the first review is finally in, sorry it's taken so long.

Bison Witches
1320 P St.
Lincoln

Hours:
Kitchen - 11 AM - 10 PM
Bar - 11 AM - 1 AM

7 days a week

Atmosphere: My first thought upon entering was how loud the music was. While I am not typically opposed to this type of thing (especially since it was good music) it was a little overwhelming at 3 in the afternoon. It was also pretty dark, but at the same time welcoming. Felt very small town bar-like.

Service: Very friendly server! She seemed very busy, since she was the only one there, but she was always prompt and smiling. I did find it odd, however, that the menu had a disclaimer excusing slow service due to the small kitchen, but it did add to the small town feel. We got our food and drinks quickly, despite the disclaimer.

Food and Drink: Great drink specials! We went on a Wednesday, and import bottles were $2.50! Even for Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, one of my favorites, and also usually more on the expensive side. For lunch I tried the Beef and Brie sandwich. I got to choose the type of bread (which is always a plus) and they had no problem with special orders (no tomatoes, sauce on the side etc.)

The sandwich itself was huge, with a massive amount of beef and cheese on very thickly sliced wheat bread. It was served lukewarm, I would have preferred it to be hotter, but it was not unpleasant. The taste was great, and very unique, not something you find on every menu. The Russian mustard sauce they served on it (I got it on the side...) was interesting. Basically, it was a dijon mustard mixed with horseraddish. Since I am not a fan of horseraddish, I could not pass judgement on it. The boy tried it, however, and loved it.

Value: Awesome value, lots of food for a great price! As I said, the sandwich was gigantic, and also included chips (packaged, not homemade unfortunately...) I would expect to get a good, filling meal here (not including alcohol :) ) for around $8-10 a person

Cleanliness: Very clean for an older establishment, though our server did have to wipe our table as we sat down. Didn't get a chance to check out the bathrooms, however.

Overall Impression: Overall, this was a great place for a quick, inexpensive lunch. Good food and service for a great price. Somewhere I would definitly recommend for college students (and it's within walking distance of city campus) or for business lunches. Probably not a great place for family gatherings, however...

2 comments: